Spanner in the Works

I’ve just started maternity leave. I’ve been planning to update this blog for a while, but work has been consuming so much of my brain and time and baby stuff the rest that it’s been squeezed out.

But today when I was just starting to adjust to the new normal, I got an unpleasant surprise. The official email states:

Dear CMP Client

Due to unforeseen staffing circumstances, the Community Midwifery Program regrets that if you are planning a hospital birth (Domino), or if you are planning a homebirth and are required to transfer into hospital during your labour, your Community Midwife will be unable to remain with you and will hand over your care to the hospital staff.  When you are discharged from hospital, your Community Midwife will continue your care at home.

This arrangement will continue until further notice.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss this further please contact <name and number redacted>

Yours faithfully

Community Midwifery Program

I also got an email from my midwife who I subsequently phoned about it. I’ve been planning a Domino birth (as suggested by my midwife incidentally) and one of the main reasons I chose the CMP was because of the continuity of care. I’m very keen to be able to birth with someone I know, and this pretty much negates that. Coming a month out from my due date, it’s a big unpleasant shock.

I haven’t had a chance to meet the midwifery teams at the hospital I’m planning to attend (why would I when I have a midwife?) and my experiences with the obstetricians have left me less than impressed. They have been for the most part impersonal, uninterested and poor on the details. The last one didn’t even take my blood pressure and tested my protein levels only when I asked about it.

My biggest fear comes down to the BMI issue. I’ve been eating fairly normally throughout my pregnancy and putting on more weight in my third trimester (most of which is going to the baby who is now ~3kg). Despite being otherwise healthy, I’m getting close to those scary cutoffs and that’s when I weigh myself at home first thing in the morning. The scales at the hospital are less discriminating, especially later in the day and wearing clothes. I’m really afraid that I’m going to be packed off to King Edward hospital for delivery sans midwife and lose any autonomy over my birth because I happen to be a kilo over the cutoff if they insist on weighing me.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the backup CMP midwife and then another appointment at the hospital. I’m going to discuss my concerns with the midwife (especially in light of my anxiety issues around the BMI issue) and see if there’s anything they can do. I understand that they’ve had staff leave, but I’d like to hope they feel some sense of responsibility for people who are already in the system. At the hospital, I plan to decline to be weighed. I’m mostly going in to find out if spudlet is still breech and to get an anti-D injection so I’m hoping they don’t push the issue.

If we aren’t happy after the conversation with the midwife, I might contact the CMP manager and discuss it with her. I’m half tempted to see if I can switch to a homebirth even though it wouldn’t be my first choice as I’d feel safer with that than at KEMH. It’s distressing to have to consider these sorts of things when I thought it was all sorted. In the meantime, I’ll be eating salad so I can try to fit within the stupid BMI restrictions. I can’t help feeling sad and angry that the system is letting me down like this.

There is a result…

.. but we don’t know what it is yet.

We weren’t expecting the results of the Verifi test until next week (we had an appointment booked for next Tuesday), but I got the following email from my doctor just after lunch today:

Hi Molly.

I have received a copy of the results from the Verifi test…I just wanted to know if you have a copy or if you need to come in to get the results from me?

I have tentatively booked you in at 10:30am tomorrow (Thursday) which is my earliest appointment.  Please let me know if you don’t need to see me, and then I can cancel the appointment and free up the time slot.  Take care!

ARGH! I immediately phoned the medical centre to see if there was any chance I could get in to see her this afternoon. No dice, they did put me on the wait list but obviously no-one cancelled. So I have to wait until tomorrow to find out.

Work wasn’t so bad but afterwards I started thinking and worrying. It wasn’t until I was cooking dinner that the penny dropped and I felt like a right dill. If the test had come back positive, she almost certainly would have called me. She also wouldn’t be asking me if I didn’t need to see her. I ran this past Craig and he tended to agree with me. I immediately felt better about the whole thing.

Only then did it occur to me that we’d also be finding out the gender of the baby tomorrow!! Whoa! I suggested to Craig that (all being well) we should go out to dinner to celebrate tomorrow. If it turns out to be a boy, I get to choose the restaurant. If it turns out to be a girl it’s his pick.

So here’s crossing everything and waiting to see what tomorrow will bring.